Novak Kinetic 1S ESC and Re-Introduction to the Updated Kinetic ESC
New from Novak:
Since its initial release, Novak’s flagship Kinetic Racing Brushless ESC (#1740) has been revised, updated and packed full with new incredible features. Novak’s Dynamic Timing Advance has been refined to feature a cutting-edge timing system that is exceptionally smooth throughout all of the timing levels; the Kinetic’s brakes have been updated to the advanced NovaBrakes system, which provides instantaneous braking under any timing condition; and a highly developed Thermal Overload Protection feature has been added that prevents thermal overload without taking drivers out of the race. These new features combined with the Kinetic’s impressive standard features, such as the digital current control, built-in PC interface and extensive on-board programmability, makes this next-generation speed control a must-have to all competitive racers.
The suspense is over! The Kinetic (#1740), Kinetic/Ballistic Brushless Systems (#3142-#3149), and NovaLink (#5440) is scheduled to ship by the end of July 2010.
TIMED AND READY TO RACE
The Kinetic’s Dynamic Timing Advance is one of the most sophisticated timing systems available. In fact, it provides a smooth application of timing across the full timing spectrum of more than 50 degrees. In effect, the Kinetic’s speed ascends gracefully and controllably throughout all of the timing levels. This electronic motor-timing feature also has eight on-board timing settings—with further adjustability via the NovaLink —and increases the motor RPM dynamically throughout the throttle band. The increased RPM, in turn, results in higher speeds and improved speed control performance. In addition to standard timing advance, the Kinetic offers a boost setting at full throttle to provide even higher top speeds. Moreover, Novak added a timing indicator LED, which will illuminate white whenever timing is activated. This feature is approved for ROAR Sportsman Class Racing, and will help aid club racing events that run timing and non-timing events.
Another feature that originated with Novak’s design team is the patent-pending NovaBrakes. This revolutionary braking system provides instantaneous braking under any timing condition. Additionally, the brake response is incredibly smooth and immediate at any speed or throttle position, ridding the ESC of brake delay. In short, this new braking system has completely transformed the feel, response and use of traditional brakes.
Combined with the NovaBrakes, Novak has refined the Kinetic’s brake and drive frequency settings, and added a brake end point adjustment to provide drivers with unparalleled brake and throttle tuning options. The brake and drive frequency settings allow users to experiment with a softer or heartier brake and throttle input.
To combat overheating while timing advance is activated, Novak has upgraded its Thermal Overload Protection feature. If the ESC starts to overheat, the speed control will turn off the timing advance and limit the motor power to prevent thermal overload. If the ESC’s temperature continues to rise, a second thermal-protection feature will engage. This feature drops the speed control’s power, so drivers can safely maneuver their vehicle off of the track. If timing is not engaged, the speed control will utilize the second thermal-protection feature only—reducing the ESC’s power to a safe operating level.
On top of that, Novak is introducing a temperature indicator that allows racers to check their ESC’s temperature during or after each run. This indicator is so accurate that many racers use it in place of a temperature gun. A quick tap on the One Touch button will display the speed control’s temperature via a blinking LED.
Additionally, Novak has equipped the Kinetic with a Hall Sensor Test. When activated, this test quickly verifies if the sensor harness and sensors in the motor are functioning properly without any risk to the ESC or motor. This Hall Sensor Test is an invaluable tool when troubleshooting at the race track.
As previously released, the Kinetic includes a precision, digital current limiting feature, known as Electronic Power Control. By adjusting the current limiter, drivers can fine tune their vehicle’s power delivery and response, creating a more consistent throttle. The Electronic Power Control also decreases system temperatures, prevents wheel spin and mutes over-aggressive throttle use.
TUNE IN WITH THE NOVALINK
In addition to Novak’s easy-to-use extensive on-board programming, the Kinetic ESC can be fine tuned via Novak’s fully adjustable PC interface, the NovaLink (#5440). The optional NovaLink provides users with expanded programming adjustability. Using the integrated software, racers can fine tune the Kinetic’s multiple parameters by inputting the desired values or using the user-friendly graphic controls. Additionally, each personalized set of parameters can be stored onto a PC to recall and use again later. These custommade parameter sets can, in addition, be shared with other drivers to collaborate and find the best set up per competition and race condition. The NovaLink will also never be outdated due to the easy-to-download software updates available to NovaLink users on Novak’s Web site.
The Kinetic is compatible with any 540-sized or 550-sized sensored brushless motor and is optimized for Novak’s Ballistic Racing Brushless Motors (#3603-#3621) and Ballistic 550 Brushless Motors (#3504-#3506). These remarkable Novak motors contain an easy-to-adjust timing assembly, sport
interchangeable wound stator construction and include a nickel-plated sintered Neodymium rotor. And like all Novak racing motors, these brushless motors are blisteringly fast. The Kinetic is also available as a system with the Ballistic Brushless Motors (#3142-#3149).
For more information, visit the Novak Web site (www.teamnovak.com).
NOVAK’S KINETIC RACING BRUSHLESS ESC FEATURES
- Novak’s Dynamic Timing Advance increases the motor’s RPM dynamically through the throttle band
- Maximum-available electronic-motor timing – more than 50 degrees plus boost with eight on-board settings
- Compatible with the NovaLink for advanced programming options, including fine-tuning of timing, ESC and motor temperature diagnostics, and an adjustable boost delay
- Electronic Power Control feature to fine tune vehicle power delivery and response
- Multiple adjustable parameters via on-board or optional PC interface: Minimum Brake (0-30%), Drag Brake (0-30%), Minimum Drive (0-30%), Timing Level (0-55° + boost), Timing Set Point (19,500-4,000), Current
- Limit (10 settings), Dead Band (2-8%), Throttle Curve (Linear/Expo), Brake Curve (Linear/Expo), Brake Frequency (1.67-13.7 KHz), Brake End Point (10-100%), Drive Frequency (16-7 KHz), Reverse, Motor Rotation, Voltage Cut-Off, Hall Sensor Test and Throttle Profile
- Approved for ROAR Sportsman Class Racing
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor’s sensors are working properly
- NovaBrakes provide instantaneous braking under any timing condition
- Sensor-based for excellent torque and low-speed driveability
- User friendly on-board programming interface with five colored status LEDs
- Robust 3-amp BEC for strong and fast steering response under any condition
- Compatible with the entire 540-sized and 550-sized Novak brushless motor line
- Battery Type Selection circuitry for Li-Po, Li-Fe and Ni-MH battery packs
- Locked Rotor Detection and Thermal Overload Protection with on-board temperature diagnostics
- Included 25x25x10mm ESC cooling fan (#5649)
- Eight layered, 2 oz., copper-clad PC board for lowest possible power loss
t case with a protective silicone gasket
- Cross-cut ESC heat sink for reduced weight and efficient cooling
- The Kinetic’s firmware can be updated via a PC using the NovaLink
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes 120-Day Warranty
- Designed, assembled and tested by Novak in Irvine, Calif., using globally sourced components
Trevor “Chilly” Duncan
Online News Editor
Radio Control Car Action
The post Novak Kinetic 1S ESC and Re-Introduction to the Updated Kinetic ESC appeared first on RC Car Action.