Novak Activ8 Racing Brushless ESC
This new brushless ESC from Novak is designed for 1/8 electric vehicles and is packed with features like a full-coverage heat sink, 12 gauge power wires, high-powered switching BEC, and Novak’s patented X-Drive software. Read the info below for more details:
Novak Electronics is proud to introduce a new definition in power, performance, and reliability with the new Activ8 Racing Brushless ESC (#1725). This pure, sensor-based brushless racing ESC is designed for the rigors of electric 1/8th scale buggy/truggy, but can also be used in 4WD short course trucks. The Activ8 features Novak’s X-Drive for ultimate driving performance, on-board programming for complete customization, and is built and supported by Novak Electronics in Irvine, California. The Activ8 has no shortage of features and is ready for any power-hungry 2S to 4S application. If you need an ESC that is beastly enough for your maniac driving style and heavy throttle finger, the Activ8 is what you have been waiting for!
Your vehicle isn’t wimpy, so why put a wimpy controller in it? The Activ8 uses high quality and rugged components to ensure your vehicle keeps running pack after pack.
Full-Coverage Heat Sink
For proper heat dissipation, the Activ8 takes full advantage of its robust size and features a full-size, cross-cut heat sink that has direct contact with all of the power MOSFETs. Whether you are ripping through the high desert or tearing off laps at your local arena, the heat sink is the first line of defense against heat build-up. A large cooling fan and fan guard are also included.
Heavy Duty High-Power PCB
The Activ8 uses an extremely heavy-duty and thick PC board that is embedded with massive, pure copper traces to ensure your ESC performs at its best.
Huge Power Wires
The Activ8 comes factory-installed with 12 gauge silicone battery and motor power wires that are easy to replace for factory-like, re-wire jobs. These power wires don’t just have a “12” printed on them- they are top-quality, Novak Super-Flex wires.
High-Powered Switching BEC
To cope with the demands of heavy-duty servos and the rigors of extended practice sessions with heavy vehicles, the Activ8 features Novak’s new high-powered switching BEC, which utilizes rugged components, for a clean and consistent 6 volts output.
EQUIPPED WITH NOVAK X-DRIVE
Novak X-Drive will provide incredibly smooth throttle response while maintaining an extremely connected and controlled feel. This motor-firing technology has been taking the racing world by storm and is now available for the larger scale, higher voltage applications. No competition ESC is complete without X-Drive!
COMPLETE ON-BOARD PROGRAMMING
To deliver unmatched performance and usability in the high-end, high-voltage ESC category, Novak engineers developed enhanced, on-board programming to ensure that customizing and tuning the Activ8 to your liking has never been easier. Gone are the days of special boxes, programmers, or lugging your expensive laptop to the dusty track. Nothing extra is needed, and making changes track-side is a snap! Complete On-Board Programming To deliver unmatched performance and usability in the high-end, high-voltage ESC category, Novak engineers developed enhanced, on-board programming to ensure that customizing and tuning the Activ8 to your liking has never been easier. Gone are the days of special boxes, programmers, or lugging your expensive laptop to the dusty track. Nothing extra is needed, and making changes track-side is a snap!
ACTIV8 ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS
Drag Brake: Allows tuning of the auto brake, drag brake or coast brake response Dynamic Timing: To disable, activate, and adjust the amount of Dynamic Timing Advance that is applied to motor
RPM Set Range: Allows control when and how the Dynamic Timing engages with regard to the motor’s actual RPM
Drive Frequency: The throttle response or sensitivity allows fine-tuning of the motor’s snap or feel
Brake Frequency: The brake response or sensitivity, allows fine-tuning of the motor’s brake feel
Minimum Drive: The lowest RPM the motor can start, which allows adjustment of the “punch”
Minimum Brake: Initial brake tuning allows adjustability to how quickly or hard your brakes bite at first application
Deadband: The space between the brake and throttle allows you to adjust your basic throttle sensitivity
ADDED PROTECTION AND ENHANCED ERROR MONITORING
A new low-voltage LiPo protection segment has been developed and will monitor the LiPo pack voltage thousands of times per second. In order to prevent the pack from ever falling below the critical safety voltage, the ESC will simply reduce the power, slowing down the vehicle.
The ESC keeps tabs on its core operating temperature and will back down its power to prevent the ESC from overheating. ? On-Board Temperature Diagnostics – With a quick tap of the One-Touch button, multi-colored LEDs will indicate how hot the ESC is for instant temperature information.
Sampling has been expanded to provide additional feedback via multi-colored LEDs, allowing for quicker trouble-shooting.
Motor Lock-Up Protection
If your drive train or motor becomes bound up or jammed, the ESC will detect this and cut the power to prevent damage.
Hall Effect Sensor Test
This built-in test allows you to confirm that your motor’s sensors and sensor harness are in good working order.
The Activ8 Racing Brushless ESC was primarily designed for use with Novak’s Ballistic 8 Racing Brushless Motors, but is also compatible with Novak’s Ballistic 550 Racing Brushless Motors, and all popular 1/8th-scale (15XX-size), 550-size, and 540-size, 2 or 4-pole, sensored brushless motors.
NOVAK BUILT AND SUPPORTED
Novak takes pride in its manufacturing facility in Irvine, California and also with its use of high-quality components and assembly and testing processes. Each Novak Club ESC and Brushless Motor is built and tested in the Novak factory to Novak’s exacting standards. All Novak products are supported by Novak’s knowledgeable customer support staff and race team.
ACTIVE8 RACING BRUSHLESS ESC FEATURES
- Designed for the rigors of heavy-duty applications including electric 1/8th-scale buggy/truggy and 4WD short course vehicles
- Compatible with Novak’s Ballistic 8, Ballistic 550, and all popular 2 and 4-pole sensored brushless motors
- Sensor-based system for excellent torque and low-speed driveability
- Intuitive interface with multiple on-board adjustable settings for custom tuning:
- Drive Tuning: Dynamic Timing Advance, RPM Set Point, Drive Frequency, and Minimum Drive
- Brake Tuning: Brake Frequency, Drag Brake, and Minimum Brake
- Additional Tuning: Deadband, Reverse Disable, and LiPo Protection (On/Off)
- Novak X-Drive provides enhanced throttle response, ultra smooth power delivery, higher top speeds, and cooler operating temperatures
- Novak’s Dynamic Timing Advance increases the motor’s RPM dynamically through the throttle band for higher speeds
- Novak’s One-Touch Set-Up for quick and easy transmitter set-up
- NovaBrakes provide smooth, responsive, and extremely powerful braking for all driving conditions
- Highly water-resistant case with a dual-level protective silicone gasket seal to help keep out the elements and provide additional internal PC board shock absorption and support
- Robust 3-amp switching BEC for strong and fast steering response under any conditions
- Auto-detect LiPo battery protection circuitry automatically detects the battery voltage (2S/3S/4S) and reduces the power as needed to protect the batteries from going below the safety voltage
- Built-in diagnostics provides ESC temperature monitoring at any time with the quick tap of the One-Touch button
- Thermal overload protection circuitry to protect ESC from overheating
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor’s sensors are working properly
- Includes ESC cooling fan with fan guard, and factory-installed, full-size cross-cut heat sink for cool operation
- Gold-plated direct-solder wiring tabs for flexible soldering options
- Built-in bank of high-powered, low-ESR capacitors for clean installations
- User-replaceable input harness, switch harness, and power wires
- Carries Team Novak’s commitment to excellent quality and warranty with factory customer support and service
- Designed and manufactured by Team Novak in Irvine, California using the best components from around the globe. All ESCs are 100% tested to ensure your product works right out of the box and on the track!
ACTIVE8 RACING BRUSHLESS ESC SPECIFICATIONS
Motor Type: Sensored Brushless
Fwd/Brk/Rev: F / B / R
Input Cells: 2-4S LiPo
Size: 40 x 54 x 31 mm (1.57” x 2.6” x 1.22”)
Weight (w/o wires) 3.17 oz. (89.8 g)
On-Resistance: 0.00040 ohms @ 25°C trans. temp.
BEC: 6.0 volts DC / 3.0 amps
Wire Size: 12G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire
Motor Limit: All popular 2-pole and 4-pole sensored brushless motors
#5100-#5117 & #5120-#5124 5mm MOD 1 Steel Pinion Gears (optional)
#5152-#5157 & #5160-#5161 5mm 32-Pitch Steel Pinion Gears (optional)
#5315 Plug-In Input Signal Harness: 4.0″ (JST-JST) (replacement)
#5320 Plug-In Input Signal Harness: 9.0″ (JST-JST) (replacement)
#5685 Power Trans-Cap Module — 4S-6S Li-Po (optional)
#5351-#5353 Brushless Shielded Sensor Harnesses – 4″, 6″ & 9″(replacement/optional)
#5512 12GA Silicone Power Wire: 3ft Blk, Red, Blue (replacement)
#5530 12G Silicone Power Wire: 3′ Black & Red (replacement)
#5644 Black Cooling Fan: 40x40x10mm – JST Plug (replacement)
#5600 ESC Switch Harness (replacement)
#5626 Glitch Buster Capacitor (optional)
#5831-#5833 Lead-Free Silver Solder (optional)
#5850/#5851 Heat Shrink Tubing (optional)